Home »» Home (English) »» Travelogues »» Northern Europe »» Norway-Sweden 2002

With four Children and a Tandem through Norway and Sweden

Karl Brodowsky, cycled 2002-07-07 bis 2002-08-09, written 2002

Part 4

[contents] [End]

2002-07-28 It has almost become another family tradition to cycle somehow between Mora and the Klarälven-river. This time we wanted to cut the edge via Trysil in Norway and go directly to Höljes, which is located near the border in Sweden. Also we intended to try the road via Lövnäs, which had not been paved 1994, but we knew that there would be a good alternative a few kilometers to the north, in case this road would still be a dust road. So we followed the western bank of the Österdalsälven river and many artificial lakes to Älvdalen. From there we took the northbound national highway N 70 towards Røros, which suddenly became very wide, but without too many cars. This highway could have been a shortcut from Røros to Mora, but there would have been quite a bit more mountains than the way via Sveg which we had taken. So the time would not have come out much shorter. But anyway we want to remember this direct highway section as promising suggestion for a future bicycle tour in this area. In the evening we passed a huge dam and then we found the perfect place for the night. It was located just a few meters from the lake, but high enough to avoid testing the float-ability of our tents.

2002-07-29 On the next day we could go for a swim after having tested the current with some pieces of wood. There seemed to be no danger of inspecting the turbines from inside, because the dam was about half a kilometer away and the lake was a few kilometers wide. A fire for warming our coffee water was possible, because we found a safe place and obviously enough water for extinguishing it.

The remaining ride on the N 70 was enriched by quite heavy climbs. Also it was very hot and we became very thirsty. We had a break near a moor-land area. Surprisingly enough there was a sign pointing to a source of drinking water in the middle of the moor. A path layed with wood lead to it and we could open a cover and find the clearest water we could think of. Probably this is where the water of the moor is coming from. Anyway, the water was good for us. Very soon we reached the highway to Lövnäs. We had already decided not to continue on the national highway N 70, but to make a left turn on the minor highway. This area was almost flat, with many small hills, but no long climbs. We passed through many moors and woods and finally reached Lövnäs. From here there would be this direct highway to Fulunäs, which was still not paved. So we did not hesitate, but we just turned north to Nornäs and took a little detour with better highways. Unfortunately Bernhard's bike had a problem with the cables for switching the gears and we had to repair it. This proved to be more difficult than we thought. Fortunately we were able to call our bicycle dealer with the last few bits of energy in our cell phones to ask for advice on how to repair it and we were able to get special tools for doing the repair from friendly people in the village. Not too long after this repair we arrived in Nornäs, where we could turn west again and find a place for the night.

2002-07-30 During the night we heard a lot of activities of wild animals near our tents and I even saw a squirrel. Unfortunately we found out in the next morning that it had bitten a whole into one of our bags. Fortunately we were able to repair it. After having left this dangerous place we soon arrived on the national highway, which was no longer the N 297, but now the N 311. A village with a shop, a lake and even a camp ground occurred on our way south. The camp ground was not registered in the booklets that they give away for free nor in any maps. After having had a nice break we continued to Fulunäs, where we had already been 1994, but this time we came from the north. We took the westbound highway and went towards Norway, but turned south on the N 71 in Grundforsen just before reaching the border. We had a lot of rain and so we decided to have a warm meal. On the inner side of the bend of a creek it was quite safe to have a fire and somehow we even managed to light it with the first match, in spite of the rain. We had a great meal and in the evening we found a great place in the woods again.

2002-07-31 Taking several different highways we finally arrived in Rörbäcksnäs, where they even had a shop and where we had already been 1999. This time we took a shortcut to Långflon and skipped Trysil in Norway. So we passed through Norway only for a few kilometers in the area where the river Klarälven (Trysilelva in Norway) crosses the border and flows into the artificial Höljes-lake. After having taken a bath in the lake we went on to Höljes, where the camp ground owner still knew us from our visits in 1994 and 1999 as if we had been there the day before. The enormous infrastructure in this place had gone down a bit. The store was well equipped as always, but the tourist information was gone, because its building was no longer safe. Bank, hotel, youth hostel did not seem to be like in earlier days either. But fortunately the camp ground was still there.

2002-08-01 During our day of rest in Höljes I went on a MTB-trip with Bernhard's bike. First I cycled to the dam of the Höljes-lake and followed the eastern bank of the lake for some kilometers. It would have been possible to go all the way to Dalarna, the area of Sweden where we had been before, on this way. Or to go on a huge circle and meet the highway and the Klarälven-river south of Höljes again. But I did only a short tour and crossed the dam and hit the national highway somewhere north of Höljes, where it crosses the Höljån-river. The dust roads in Sweden are somewhat harder to use for biking than the ones in Germany and Switzerland. There are a lot fewer dust roads, because they work with larger machines that go across the woods wherever they want, while in Germany and Switzerland it is more common that small parts of the woods are owned by farmers who do not operate these big machines. The Swedish forest roads are often dead ends with a huge open space in the end, allowing 60-ton-trucks to make a u-turn. They hope that thieves are less likely to pick up wood if they have to go back the same way. But in this case the dust roads had been in use as some minor connection road for a long time. So there was hope not to end up in a dead end, if I only chose the right way on the intersections and branches.

2002-08-02 Because there was meant to be a big road construction area between Likenäs and Stöllet and because we wanted to try out another route, we left the national highway N 62 north of Sysslebäck. Following the highway to Flisa we had a huge, almost endless climb until we finally reached the artificial Letten-lake, where we had a great break. From here on it was like a typical elevated plain. It was not really flat, but there where some tough hills to climb, but nothing comparable to the climb to the Letten-lake. We went south towards Torsby and we found a back road and a forest road branching from it where we could pitch up our tents.

[continue to part 5]

[Table of Contents] [End]