Home »» Home (English) »» Travelogues »» Northern Europe »» Norway-Sweden 2002

With four Children and a Tandem through Norway and Sweden

Karl Brodowsky, cycled 2002-07-07 to 2002-08-09, written 2002


This translation has been made by me, Karl Brodowsky. If you don't like my translation please try reading the German original instead. Or let me know of errors, so that I can correct them. My mother tongue is German, not English. Anyway the spelling and wording in this text is meant to be American English, the way it is used near the Atlantic coast, if you like to be more specific on this.... Still, measurements are always based on the metric system. I did not want to downgrade to non-metric measurement systems. This would be slightly confusing in Scandinavia, where a mile is typically meant to be 10.000 km, not 1.609 km like an American mile. So please do not blame me for that.

Part 1

[Beginning] [End]

It has become some kind of a family tradition to go on a big bicycle tour every summer. But this time we did add some enhancements to our usual plans. Bernhard had already been cycling on our previous tour, when we toured Gotland in the year 2001. But this was in a way the first time with slightly longer daily distances and in areas that could not be called totally flat. Our popular starting point of earlier years in Gothenburg was replaced by Oslo for this tour. This was worth a try, because it brought us closer to the areas we intended to visit and it gave us the opportunity to see different places as soon as the tour started. The clear disadvantage of Oslo is that it is kind of tough to find a legal and good way out of the city, especially when traveling to the east, as we did. And it adds a slightly longer and more expensive ferry trip from Kiel to Oslo. But on the other hand, after having done the ugly traffic of the Oslo area on the first day, things should get nicer at least from the second day onwards and we could see more of Norway.

2002-07-06 The train trip to Kiel became a little bit easier than in the years before, because the night train from Zurich to Hamburg started transporting bicycles some time ago. By the way, this was used quite heavily and we saw quite a number of bikes in the train, filling almost the whole car. I tried to get new tires for our trailer bike in Kiel, but this seemed to be kind of impossible, at least without waiting for a week or two. We arrived on board the ship to Oslo and we left Kiel already around noon time. On the next day we left the ship around 10:00.

2002-07-07 It really proved to be quite a challenge to find our way out of this car-oriented and not so bicycle-friendly city. All the highways leading in our direction seemed to be motorways that were closed for bicyclists and we had to use winding bicycle paths with many steep climbs and curves, that kept changing the side of the motorway. Finally we found this too stressful and we were able to use the national highway N 159, which was kind of taking us into the right direction without bicycle paths. But the challenge remained, because the road signs were mostly missing or very bad or leading via the motorways. A bicycle map of Oslo which can be obtained from "Syklistenes Landsforening" proved to be of great value for getting at least a slight chance of finding our way. The office is located in Storgata 23 c.

From Lillestrøm to Fetsund near the Glåma river we used the extremely busy national highway N 22. This part of our way, from Oslo to Fetsund, seemed to include quite a slope. But since we intended to follow the river valley from Fetsund onward, we should have encountered a pretty flat highway for a long distance. But it would not be Norway if there were not any surprising steep slopes even where it is presumably flat. Directly after having crossed the bridge across the river we came to a very quiet highway, following the river, but not without climbing a little bit out of the valley once in a while. Even though the river is more than 200 meters wide in this area, there were amazingly many bridges and our highway changed sides at some point of time as well. For the first night in Norway we found a pretty decent site for pitching up our tent in the woods. This locations was slightly more elevated than the highway and the river, keeping wet surprises away.

2002-07-08 After some more crossings of the river we finally arrived at the camp ground of Kongsvinger, which was located nicely near the river, but otherwise probably not the most attractive camp ground in Norway. Anyway we enjoyed a day of rest in Kongsvinger.

2002-07-09 The tires of our trailer and of our trailer-bike were already used up and we had even been able to replace one of them in a small village shop on our way to Kongsvinger. Buying tires proved to be pretty much like this during the whole trip: I went into the shop and asked for a tire and wrote down the measurements. The dealer always told me that he would not have such a tire, but I insisted on seeing his tires and showed him one that looked similar to the size we needed. And bingo, it was the exact size. But it was the last one of this size, so we had to find another shop for another tire. But actually the interesting part of Kongsvinger was the old fortress. It even had some small tunnels to visit.

2002-07-10 To keep things simple in the beginning, we continued parallel to the Glåma north of Kongsvinger. On the western bank we found the presumably less busy national highway N 210, which should lead us about 60 % of our way to Elverum. Actually it continued as state highway even all the way to Elverum. Even though this is very untypical for Norwegian state highways, this one was actually paved. We passed a place named Gotland, a name better known for a Swedish island in the Baltic Sea. The guy who ran the camp ground in Kongsvinger had told us that there would be a lot of rain during our second night in Kongsvinger and during the day on which we intended to leave. But there was no rain and it was even sunny, but we could feel the humidity. In the evening, some minutes before we found a camp ground about 30 km south of Elverum, a thunderstorm in combination with a lot of rain occurred. So we tried to hire a cabin for a change, even though our tents are actually very well apted for use even in heavy rain.

2002-07-11 As usual, car drivers sometimes overtook us even when the traffic coming from the opposite direction was already quite close or when there was a curve or a mountain reducing the view. Once it happened that the trailer of an overtaking car hit a car coming from the opposite direction. But the driver with the trailer was kind of in a hurry, so he just disappeared. I gave my cell phone number to the driver of the damaged car, in case he needed any kind of witness, and then we disappeared as well.

In Elverum we found quite a lot of stores for buying food, rubber boots and some other stuff. We even had to fix a flat tire, when we thought we could just go on. So it was almost 18:00, when we finally continued on the main highway following the eastern bank of the Glåma river, which was supposed to be paved all the way to Rena. In Rena we did quite a tour of the town to find the camp ground, but finally we found out that there would have been a shortcut via a second bridge across the river, connecting almost directly between the main highway we came from and the camp ground.

2002-07-12 We stayed in Rena for two nights and Karin and I took turns in going on little tours to the east, where highways climbed through some side valleys into the mountains. These little excursions without luggage are always fun and we had wonderful views when we went back towards Rena again. The kids did not cycle on this day, but I went swimming with them, which was especially nice in Rena, because there was a bay of the Glåma river without currency and with a nice beach.

2002-07-13 Going north from Rena the main highway on the eastern bank was supposed to be a dust road, at least for a certain section, as we could find out from several sources. So we preferred using the national highway N 3 on the western bank, which proved to be quite fine and not too busy. But it did have more cars than the main highway on the other side, so we tried to change sides once we had passed the unpaved section. But this did not seem to be very easy, because right after the bridge we encountered a railroad crossing which closed just in that moment. The train had a stop signal, so it sat just on the railroad crossing, presumably having to wait all the time until another train came. So we just took our time for a meal. The road on the other side of the railroad line seemed to be going back to Rena, while the two dust roads leading in the right direction were obviously dead ends. But it showed that the paved road just d-toured a little bit to the main road, which was located some 100 meters above the river level. At some point of time the freight train disappeared and we had found out how to continue. So we finally took the quiet road, which was even paved all the way to Koppang, but it did indeed have some more hills than the national highway N 3. Most of the time the rail line was between us and the river. We preferred the opposite arrangement, because it usually meant that the highway was flat.

Arriving in Koppang we knew that there would be a nice camp ground some kilometers north of the town. We continued on the national highway N 3. But things turned up differently. We had a break somewhere in the forest for our evening meal and we liked the place so much that we decided to stay there for the night. A few 100 meters away from the national highway we found a place in the forest near the river, where we had a wonderful view of the Glåma with some rapids and some islands.

Part 2

[Beginning] [End]

2002-07-14 We cycled between wonderful mountains to Alvdal. The Glåma river had calmer sections and rapids once in a while, but the water was already much less. This is actually partly due to the fact that part of the water is redirected in order to optimize the use of water power plants. The camp ground in Alvdal was located on the opposite side of the town, actually some kilometers beyond that and we even had to follow the branching N 29 for 2 kilometers or so to reach it. We stayed there for two nights.

2002-07-15 Karin and I went on short trips on the national highway N 29, this time leading us to the west. The camp ground was located near a small river flowing to the Glåma. It was even possible to swim a little bit, because someone had built a dam with stones, that kept the water near it a little bit deeper and calmer.

2002-07-16 For the next day it was our intention to reach Røros. We were expecting a little bonus from the fact that our camp ground there was supposed to be located some kilometers before the town. We had found out that there would be a paved highway to Tynset on the other side of the river. In Tynset we had some rest near a kindergarten. The mountains near the valley became higher and higher and it began to become fun to predict how the valley would pass the huge mountains we were approaching.

2002-07-17 We stayed for two nights in Røros. The camp ground even had a dish washer. But the drawback was that the rain water formed a small lake in the location of my tent. Fortunately it was possible to dig some way out for the water, so we did not really get wet. We used the chance to see the town and the Olovs-mines. Røros is actually in the UNESCO list of the world heritage. The mines are located a few kilometers away from the town and 900 m above sea level. A paved back road led us there from the N 31. The mines where used for obtaining copper ore. There would be enough ore to use them even in these days. But fortunately for the Norwegians they stopped the mining when the copper price in the world market dropped and the salary level in Norway increased due to the discovery of oil in the Norwegian coastal areas. Seeing these underground mines was off course very impressive. After having seen that we still had some more time to look at Røros and especially into the mining museum located in the former copper production plant of Røros.

2002-07-18 In the vicinity of Røros the Glåma river flows out of a lake system, even though there is one of the rivers flowing into the system also called Glåma, kind of the upper part of the Glåma. But since we had already missed the lowest part of the river, there was no increased harm in omitting this part as well, so we just took the eastbound national highway N 31, part of which we had already used for getting to the mines. This was the first real uphill section. Let us rather say the first necessary uphill section, because other than in the river valley there would not be an obvious way to build a flat highway, since we were really crossing the mountains now. But surprisingly this seemed to be no problem at all. We had already practiced so much with the unnecessary uphill sections in the river valley that we could do this climb relatively easily. We had one of the nicest and calmest sections of our tour, as so often near the border between Norway and Sweden, apart from a few busy transcontinental highways in the south. For a long stretch we followed a small river. During one of our breaks we could find out that there would be a nice waterfall somewhere. And there were a lot of paths in the forest, so we went on a long walk. Moving around kind of limited the local mosquito problem to an extent we could live with, but once we stopped, they would become a problem. We did not really make it to approach the waterfall from the right side, but the walk was fun anyway.

Our highest elevation was reached at the border to Sweden. We had been told that this would be such a high elevation that there should be no trees, but we only encountered that kind of landscape near the Olovs mine. The border was just marked by a few road signs, but there was no customs, passport control or whatever. But it is easily realized anyway, that we were in another country. The landscape on the Swedish side of the mountains is somewhat different. The valleys are wider and the whole area looks flatter, even though the high mountains remain visible. With the small winding national highway and the small trees and bushes this area almost looked like a park. Soon we reached a lake and it became obvious that we wanted to spend the night on the camp ground in Fjällnäs, located near the next big lake.

2002-07-19 From there we were supposed to cross one more mountain pass and then follow another river valley for some days into flatter areas. Actually the pass proved to be marginal. Off course this area is a huge skiing area in the winter. We saw many ski lifts, a lot of parking space and many hotels and skiing towns, which were almost abandoned during this time of the year. Especially the national highway was not too busy, something that did not really make us unhappy. We passed more lakes, mountains, rivers and mostly woods. Sometimes we had more elevated stretches, but most of the time we were following the Ljusan river towards Sveg. In the evening we found a spot for our tents in the forest, not too far away from the national highway. We had already passed a camp ground shortly before, but that had been closed down recently.

2002-07-20 Fortunately we found a nice bathing place on the next day, which is especially nice after having camped for several nights in the woods. It was even possible to get a warm meal and some coffee in the cafe of a museum, which should not be taken for granted in such a thinly populated area. In the evening we found a place in the woods which seemed to be really far away from all population. It was quite a bit away from the national highway. But even the forests seem to get busy these days and even someone passed walking with his dog.

Part 3

[Beginning] [End]

2002-07-21 Because we intended to spend the next night in Sveg, which was no longer very far, we arrived there during the afternoon. We had passed a lake of some water power plant located just a few kilometers north-west (and a few meters above) Sveg for quite some time. We even found a nice place for swimming in that lake, which is not always so easy to find. In Sveg we took our time for washing our clothes and having a nice dinner.

2002-07-22 The day in Sveg was meant to be a day of rest. Our old family tradition is to play at least once mini-golf on every bicycle tour. Since almost any Swedish camp ground has a mini-golf-course, we decided to try this in Sveg. Bernhard and Ulrich have already become quite strong players, making it very tough for Karin and me to win against them, but even Christina and Heidrun are really participating now. In the afternoon we hired a canoe. Unfortunately it started to rain and Christina got panic that the rain might fill and sink the boat. No chance to calm her down. So she walked home with Karin from where we were and I continued with the boys to the dam of the lake in which we had been swimming on the day before. After having returned Christina realized that the canoe had actually proved to be safe and she suddenly wanted to be in the boat when Karin started to paddle into the opposite direction, which became quite a long tour as well. In the evening I went on a small ride to Härrö, which is an peninsula located in the lake, which can be reached via a bridge. The highway which I took would continue all the way to Älvdalen, a highway junction some 150 kilometers south of Sveg. Probably this could be worth while for another bicycle tour in the future, because it seemed to be a very fine highway with very little traffic.

2002-07-23 Mora has always been one of the fixed points of many bicycle tours, so it was mandatory to go there even on this tour. The Swedish national highway N 45 does a funny detour near Sveg, where it changes its direction almost by 180 degrees, just on the other side of the river. Plans exist to rectify this somehow, but that seems to be far away. For now it was no big detour for us, because we came from Sveg. This part of the highway passes many beautiful lakes and we even passed the location where we had stayed for the night 2 years earlier. This time we were able to cycle a little bit closer to Mora. We found a nice place near a small creek for the night shortly after Noppikoski, one of the few bus stops between Sveg and Mora, after having covered slightly more than half of the distance to Mora.

2002-07-24 The remaining distance to Mora had quite a few hills and we even got some rain. We crossed the valley of a river that flows to Orsa and which is even used by the rail line. But the highway just crossed the valley, with quite a climb on the other side, providing a nice view when we came closer to Orsa. We found a store offering smoked fish. It was located near a rapidly flowing river. From here we had the choice on how to continue towards Mora. The obvious and fastest way would be to continue on the national highway N 45. But it was early enough for a little detour on another highway following the western shore of the Orsa-lake, which is what we actually did. Shortly before Mora we changed to the other side of the Österdalsälven-river, where the camp ground was supposed to be.

2002-07-25 We intended to stay a little bit longer in Mora and this became actually three days (and four nights). Having seen the bear park in Orsa twice we were thinking that this might not be a top priority, but for all children but Christina it was. Obviously second choice was the Tomteland, the place, where Santa Claus is living, at least for the Swedish. Still we chose to go there on the first day, but we had a look at the island Sollerön, which was on our way. The entrance fee for a family with four kids was slightly absurd, since we did not go in via the back-door, but that is how it is. We were invited to come once more the next day with the same tickets.

2002-07-26 This time Karin and the kids took the bus to Tomteland, while I took some more time riding Bernhard's MTB via Sollerön again. This gave us a chance to get Karin's bike fixed, where the rear wheel needed to be re-centered. In Tomteland, I passed the bike to Karin, who left slightly earlier and rode the bike on a long trip to Siljansnäs and later back to Mora, while the children and I were taking the bus back to Mora and picked up Karin's bike.

2002-07-27 We considered doing it the same way with the bear park in Grönklitt near Orsa on the third day, but unfortunately there were no busses going all the way to Grönklitt on that Saturday. To speed up things a little bit though, Karin and the kids took their bicycles in the bus to Orsa, while I tried another alternative route via Karlås, which was very nice, but slightly longer, especially if I consider the additional elevation-meters. We met in Orsa and this time we wanted to use the real road to Grönklitt. Somewhere north of Orsa a small forest road is branching from some highway into the woods and following a small valley with a creek almost all the way to Grönklitt. It looks as if this road had not been included when many highways were being paved. Instead another road leading to Fryksås had been paved and transformed into a highway, which allowed for a short connection plus the last section to Grönklitt being paved instead of the whole way we were following. This made the connection to Grönklitt slightly longer, but possibly saved some money for four additional kilometers of asphalt, because most of the way the roads to Grönklitt and Fryksås are now bundled. Off course it was kind of fun to see if we were really finding the dust road to Grönklitt, because all the road signs had off course been arranged to point to the paved highway. But we found it without any problems. We pushed our bicycles for 5 kilometers and had asphalt again for another kilometer after the connection to Fryksås merged into our road. Unfortunately most of the animals were hiding this time. We were able to see bears and even their babies, but no wolves, lynx and other animals, that should be around as well. Maybe next time.

Part 4

[Beginning] [End]

2002-07-28 It has almost become another family tradition to cycle somehow between Mora and the Klarälven-river. This time we wanted to cut the edge via Trysil in Norway and go directly to Höljes, which is located near the border in Sweden. Also we intended to try the road via Lövnäs, which had not been paved 1994, but we knew that there would be a good alternative a few kilometers to the north, in case this road would still be a dust road. So we followed the western bank of the Österdalsälven river and many artificial lakes to Älvdalen. From there we took the northbound national highway N 70 towards Røros, which suddenly became very wide, but without too many cars. This highway could have been a shortcut from Røros to Mora, but there would have been quite a bit more mountains than the way via Sveg which we had taken. So the time would not have come out much shorter. But anyway we want to remember this direct highway section as promising suggestion for a future bicycle tour in this area. In the evening we passed a huge dam and then we found the perfect place for the night. It was located just a few meters from the lake, but high enough to avoid testing the float-ability of our tents.

2002-07-29 On the next day we could go for a swim after having tested the current with some pieces of wood. There seemed to be no danger of inspecting the turbines from inside, because the dam was about half a kilometer away and the lake was a few kilometers wide. A fire for warming our coffee water was possible, because we found a safe place and obviously enough water for extinguishing it.

The remaining ride on the N 70 was enriched by quite heavy climbs. Also it was very hot and we became very thirsty. We had a break near a moor-land area. Surprisingly enough there was a sign pointing to a source of drinking water in the middle of the moor. A path layed with wood lead to it and we could open a cover and find the clearest water we could think of. Probably this is where the water of the moor is coming from. Anyway, the water was good for us. Very soon we reached the highway to Lövnäs. We had already decided not to continue on the national highway N 70, but to make a left turn on the minor highway. This area was almost flat, with many small hills, but no long climbs. We passed through many moors and woods and finally reached Lövnäs. From here there would be this direct highway to Fulunäs, which was still not paved. So we did not hesitate, but we just turned north to Nornäs and took a little detour with better highways. Unfortunately Bernhard's bike had a problem with the cables for switching the gears and we had to repair it. This proved to be more difficult than we thought. Fortunately we were able to call our bicycle dealer with the last few bits of energy in our cell phones to ask for advice on how to repair it and we were able to get special tools for doing the repair from friendly people in the village. Not too long after this repair we arrived in Nornäs, where we could turn west again and find a place for the night.

2002-07-30 During the night we heard a lot of activities of wild animals near our tents and I even saw a squirrel. Unfortunately we found out in the next morning that it had bitten a whole into one of our bags. Fortunately we were able to repair it. After having left this dangerous place we soon arrived on the national highway, which was no longer the N 297, but now the N 311. A village with a shop, a lake and even a camp ground occurred on our way south. The camp ground was not registered in the booklets that they give away for free nor in any maps. After having had a nice break we continued to Fulunäs, where we had already been 1994, but this time we came from the north. We took the westbound highway and went towards Norway, but turned south on the N 71 in Grundforsen just before reaching the border. We had a lot of rain and so we decided to have a warm meal. On the inner side of the bend of a creek it was quite safe to have a fire and somehow we even managed to light it with the first match, in spite of the rain. We had a great meal and in the evening we found a great place in the woods again.

2002-07-31 Taking several different highways we finally arrived in Rörbäcksnäs, where they even had a shop and where we had already been 1999. This time we took a shortcut to Långflon and skipped Trysil in Norway. So we passed through Norway only for a few kilometers in the area where the river Klarälven (Trysilelva in Norway) crosses the border and flows into the artificial Höljes-lake. After having taken a bath in the lake we went on to Höljes, where the camp ground owner still knew us from our visits in 1994 and 1999 as if we had been there the day before. The enormous infrastructure in this place had gone down a bit. The store was well equipped as always, but the tourist information was gone, because its building was no longer safe. Bank, hotel, youth hostel did not seem to be like in earlier days either. But fortunately the camp ground was still there.

2002-08-01 During our day of rest in Höljes I went on a MTB-trip with Bernhard's bike. First I cycled to the dam of the Höljes-lake and followed the eastern bank of the lake for some kilometers. It would have been possible to go all the way to Dalarna, the area of Sweden where we had been before, on this way. Or to go on a huge circle and meet the highway and the Klarälven-river south of Höljes again. But I did only a short tour and crossed the dam and hit the national highway somewhere north of Höljes, where it crosses the Höljån-river. The dust roads in Sweden are somewhat harder to use for biking than the ones in Germany and Switzerland. There are a lot fewer dust roads, because they work with larger machines that go across the woods wherever they want, while in Germany and Switzerland it is more common that small parts of the woods are owned by farmers who do not operate these big machines. The Swedish forest roads are often dead ends with a huge open space in the end, allowing 60-ton-trucks to make a u-turn. They hope that thieves are less likely to pick up wood if they have to go back the same way. But in this case the dust roads had been in use as some minor connection road for a long time. So there was hope not to end up in a dead end, if I only chose the right way on the intersections and branches.

2002-08-02 Because there was meant to be a big road construction area between Likenäs and Stöllet and because we wanted to try out another route, we left the national highway N 62 north of Sysslebäck. Following the highway to Flisa we had a huge, almost endless climb until we finally reached the artificial Letten-lake, where we had a great break. From here on it was like a typical elevated plain. It was not really flat, but there where some tough hills to climb, but nothing comparable to the climb to the Letten-lake. We went south towards Torsby and we found a back road and a forest road branching from it where we could pitch up our tents.

Part 5

[Beginning] [End]

2002-08-03 Off course this was again an area with no stores at all on a long distance, but on the other hand this was again one of the most beautiful areas of tour. Finally we met the direct national highway N 45 from Mora to Gothenburg or rather it hit our highway. Soon we were approaching Torsby, which seems to be a town with many aggressive car fans. There was at least a very obvious minority of wild drivers on the highway. We saved us the hassle of going through Torsby itself and rather remained on the N 45 to pass the town and to go to the camp ground located 5 kilometers south of Torsby.

2002-08-04 The camp ground is located in a wonderful vicinity near the lake, which actually happened to be quite warm for a change. Karin and I took turns in going to the town for buying the most important stuff, but the kids could enjoy staying on the camp ground for the whole day. My front tire was kind of worn out and the inner parts of it became visible here and there. Off course only the bicycle store sold tires and off course it was closed on this Sunday. But Karin had discovered another store near the place where she had bought food and this one seemed to actually have a few tires. Actually I was able to show the girl who worked there which kind of tire I wanted, after she had told me that she could not help me, so I was able to fix this on the same day.

2002-08-05 We had to think of catching our boat from Oslo to Kiel and Torsby was the last chance to turn west and reach the ferry without too significant detours. The national highway to Kongsvinger seems to be put together of many historically grown stretches of local highways, so we did turn north, south and sometimes west. But many times we had to make a right or left when we came to branches. Anyway it existed and it was easy to find. We wanted to go to Oslo in three days, leaving us one more day to see the city or as reserve, in case we needed more time. We came through a nearly unpopulated area with very few very small villages, but many lakes, rivers and mountains. Until we reached the border this was quite a long, but not too steep climb, which even continued for the first few kilometers in Norway. We passed a nice lake where we wanted to swim, because there would probably be two nights in the woods again. But there seemed to be no place to reach the bank, as we had already almost passed it. Something like that tends to change radically after having asked local people. They new a way to the lake which had looked quite unlikely to us, because we considered it a driveway to some house.

To our surprise we found road signs pointing to a camp ground 12 kilometers ahead of us. We thought about this and whether we should expect this camp ground near the national highway or rather in a location forcing us to go many kilometers into the wrong direction. But it came nearer and nearer without taking us to any wrong branch. Since it was getting late, we had to make a decision to go for the camp ground, because it would become too late to easily find a good place in the woods. In these southern areas and so late in the summer sunsets are something that seriously happens and that seriously means darkness. Finally we did get a negative surprise, because the last kilometer was a terrible dust road where we had to push our bikes. But that was doable.

2002-08-06 On the next day we had to cross all the mountains again, combined with very nice views from the higher points. Surprisingly early we could see Kongsvinger. It was really Kongsvinger, branches became more common and we used the national highways N 200, N 20 and N 2 in that order. We had the intention not to stay in Kongsvinger again and it was even a good idea to cover some more space on this day. This time we took the quieter N 175 on the southern side of the Glåma, with the river between us and the undesired camp ground. Later we came to a section of the highway which we had already used in the beginning of our tour. The maps showed some camp grounds situated in the area where we would want to stay for the night anyway, but near the N 2 on the northern bank. So we crossed the river on a dam and after many curves and a few kilometers on the N 2 itself we were almost there. Again it was about a kilometer on a very bad dust road to the camp ground. Surprisingly enough it was located very close to the dam where we had just crossed, much closer than a kilometer. The beach from where I went swimming in the morning was located very close to the dam.

2002-08-07 The last day of long distance cycling brought as noisier highways. We took the N 2 to Kløfta and then followed the European highway E 6 or the highway that fulfills this function for bicyclists, however you want to name it, all the way to Oslo, where we still had to reach the camp ground. Somehow we made even this.

2002-08-08 For our day in Oslo we decided to leave our bikes in the camp ground and bought Oslo-passes that are valid for museums and public transport. So we could go to the museum area on the peninsula Bydøy and see the Fram museum, the Kontiki museum, the Viking museum and even the open air museum. For our way back we took the subway to some location near the camp ground. Just when we started walking towards the camp ground a bus came that took us about half the way. And there even happened to be another bus for the other half of the way.

2002-08-09 A downhill ride and some kilometers on the European highway E 18 brought us the the port where the ferry to Kiel should leave. We even had some time in another part of the port where they had some sailing ships. The ship journey in this direction is maybe nicer, because we could see the nice scenery of the Oslo-fjord with many islands and beautiful coastal areas in the afternoon. This time we had cabins in lower decks of the ship, near the propellers, where it was quite noisy. But we all slept surprisingly well.

2002-08-10 From Kiel we took a day train which left some hours after our arrival and quite late in the night we arrived in Schaffhausen.

2002-08-11 The Sunday was again an idle day, before school, kindergarten and this kind of stuff started again.


[Beginning] [End]

This table is meant to give some overview on how far and how fast and where we have been riding. We did three measurements, but one value should be enough. Values in parenthesis refer to day trips that brought us back to the same camp ground. They do not go into the accumulated total distance. The highways with green or white numbers (but without an E) in Norway and with the blue numbers in Sweden are called national highways (N). Fylkesvei in Norway and Länsway in Sweden without a number are called highway (X). All other roads are called back roads (Y).

Date Route Target trip-
average maximum
2002-07-06 (6) KielNorwegenkai(7.56)010.923.9
2002-07-07 (7) E 18 (Norway) - E 6 - N 159 Lillestrøm N 22 Fetsund N 172 - N 171 - N 173forest55.3555.359.6032.6
2002-07-08 (1) N 173 - X - N 175 - X - N 2Kongsvinger57.58112.9311.7843.4
2002-07-09 (2) N 2 Kongsvinger N 2Kongsvinger(8.78) 9.3141.4
2002-07-10 (3) N 2 - N 210 - XBraskerud69.58182.5113.5540.5
2002-07-11 (4) X Elverum XRena64.16246.6712.2150.5
2002-07-12 (5) N 215 / YRena(36.76 / 46.69) 18.91 / 14.2047.0 / 36.6
2002-07-13 (6) N 3 - X Koppang N 3forest66.18312.8512.2244.2
2002-07-14 (7) N 3 - N 29Alvdal76.45389.3011.7544.6
2002-07-15 (1) N 29Alvdal(27.91 / 21.49) 21.01 / 15.4745.5 / 37.8
2002-07-16 (2) N 29 - N 3 - X Tynset N 30Røros78.10467.4012.8140.8
2002-07-17 (3) N 30 - N 31 - Y Olavsgruva Y - N 31 - N 30Røros(32.39) 10.6749.3
2002-07-18 (4) N 30 - N 31 - N 84 (Sweden)Fjällnäs56.16523.5610.7042.8
2002-07-19 (5) N 84forest63.64587.2012.0247.6
2002-07-20 (6) N 84forest54.12641.3212.8037.4
2002-07-21 (7) N 84Sveg39.81681.1313.3339.3
2002-07-22 (1) XSveg(27.88) 19.8545.1
2002-07-23 (2) N 45forest76.15757.2812.4542.8
2002-07-24 (3) N 45 - X - N 70 - XMora72.86830.1412.3346.9
2002-07-25 (4) N 45/N 64 - X Sollerön X Gesundaberget X - N 45/N 64Mora(40.96) 13.1940.9
2002-07-26 (5) N 45/N 64 - X Sollerön X Gesundaberget X Siljansnäs X - N 45/N 64Mora(24.37/90.92) 17.4638
2002-07-27 (6) N 45 - X Karlås X Orsa X - Y Grönklitt Y - X - N 45Mora(66.74) 11.6551.5
2002-07-28 (7) X Älvdalen N 70forest60.99891.1311.7638.6
2002-07-29 (1) N 70 - X Lövnäs Xforest43.96935.0910.2741.3
2002-07-30 (2) X - N 311 Fulunäs X - N 71 - Xforest43.10978.1910.1841.6
2002-07-31 (3) X Rörbäcksnäs X - X (Norway) - N 26 - N 62 (Sweden)Höljes55.191033.3812.6245.3
2002-08-01 (4) X Höljes-lake X - N 62Höljes(37.88) 14.4035.0
2002-08-02 (5) N 62 X Letten Xforest62.481095.8610.6944.7
2002-08-03 (6) X - N 45Torsby camp ground52.321148.1814.4144.2
2002-08-04 (7) N 45 Torsby town XTorsby camp ground(16.42 / 11.56) d16.95 / 15.1040.5 / 27.9
2002-08-05 (1) N 45 - N 239 - N 200 (Norway)camp ground55.811203.9910.7941.7
2002-08-06 (2) N 200 - N 20 - N 2 Kongsvinger N 175 - X - N 2camp ground72.601276.5912.3338.8
2002-08-07 (3) N 2 - E 6 - E 6/N 22 - E 6/N 4 - E 6/N 190 - E 6 - YOslo66.241342.8310.6146.10
2002-08-08 (4) -Oslo-   
2002-08-09 (5) Y - E 18Oslo ferry13.021355.8512.1538.8
2002-08-10 (6) Kielstation
2002-08-11 (7) -Schaffhausen-   

What is special about these numbers? Average speed and distances show that we could travel about 75 km on one day, with mountains something like 50 km. Bernhard could keep our speed and it was much easier than 1999 to cycle the mountains. We have cycled 1355 km with full luggage. In addition we had cycled 327 km (Karl), 393 km (Karin) or 130 km (Bernhard) for day trips with less luggage.

In the next year Ulrich will probably cycle himself for the first time and we will look for an easier trip. We will then be able to leave things like that for many years, but maybe a second tandem will become necessary, so that Karin and I can cycle with one of the girls on the back seat and the boys can cycle themselves. Interesting travel areas like Kirkenes or the fjord areas in southern Norway will have to wait a little longer, but we will eventually come.